History of Fontelina
"Since 1949, bread, sea and love opposite the Faraglioni"
The name Fontelina comes from "le fonti del lino". It was here that the women of Capri used to come to macerate flax leaves in the natural pools which formed at the bottom of the cliffs. For centuries the thread used in clothing and fishing nets was made here. The white cliff opposite the Faraglioni was known by everybody as the "E font d'o lino' which over time became the 'Fontelina'.
Two thousand years ago, Tiberius and Augustus fell in love with this side of the island and had a number of palatial villas and water cisterns constructed here. Ships loaded with supplies dropped anchor at the foot of the Faraglioni.
- 2000 years ago the ships bringing supplies to Tiberius's villas dropped anchor here
- In 1600 the women of Capri came here to macerate flax
- In 1949 Fontelina was born